Central Christian College
John Brown University
Mid-America Christian University
Oklahoma City University
Oklahoma Panhandle State University
Southwestern Assemblies of God University
Southwestern Christian University
St. Gregory's University
Texas Wesleyan University
University of Science and Arts of Oklahoma
Wayland Baptist University
University of Houston-Victoria
University of St. Thomas
University of the Southwesst
The Commissioner's Report
Greetings SAC Nation,
It’s hard to believe we are already halfway through the Fall 2017 sports seasons, but as the old saying goes: “Time flies when you’re having fun!”
Indeed, this is an exciting time for the Sooner Athletic Conference. I’ve been fortunate to serve as Commissioner of the SAC for the past 15 months, working alongside SAC Athletic Directors and Presidents to shape the future direction of this historic league. Here are a few of the highlights that have happened in that time:
- Welcomed two full members in Central Christian College of Kansas and Oklahoma Panhandle State University.
- Added three associate members for women’s golf in University of Houston-Victoria, University of St. Thomas and University of the Southwest.
- Renamed Coach of the Year awards in men’s and women’s basketball to the John Hudson Award in honor of the legendary and long-time SAC Commissioner.
- Claimed six NAIA National Championships: Oklahoma City University competitive cheer, Texas Wesleyan University men’s basketball, Oklahoma City University women’s basketball, Oklahoma City University women’s golf, Wayland Baptist University women’s outdoor track and field, and Oklahoma City University softball.
- Watched nine different SAC student-athletes secure a total of 15 individual NAIA National Championships across seven different sports: men’s cross country, women’s cross country, men’s indoor track and field, women’s indoor track and field, men’s golf, men’s outdoor track and field, and women’s outdoor track and field.
- Placed two former student-athletes into the NAIA Hall of Fame: Denise Leonie Williams-Mitchell (track and field), Wayland Baptist University; and Jeff McLaughlin (baseball), Oklahoma City University.
- Signed partnership agreements with Molten (official volleyball) and Balfour (official ring).
- Twice recognized as NAIA Champions of Character Five-Star Conference.
- Became home to the reigning NAIA National Athletic Director of the Year: Jim Abbott, Oklahoma City University.
- Launched new and improved design for conference’s official website.
And there’s more big news coming from the SAC later this month, so I will look forward to touching on those items in the next installment of The Commissioner’s Report. To be sure, the SAC has a bright future, and I look forward to shining a light on the accomplishments of the student-athletes, coaches, and administrators in this great league!
Until next time,
Stan Wagnon, SAC Commissioner
The Commissioner’s Report is published to soonerathletic.org for the purpose of providing periodic updates from SAC Commissioner Stan Wagnon on current happenings in and around the Sooner Athletic Conference. To ask a question that could be answered in a future edition of The Commissioner’s Report, email the Commissioner at [email protected].
Players of the Week